Spinach is a leafy green flowering plant native to Central Asia and West Asia. Its leaves are a common edible vegetable that can be eaten fresh or after storage using canned, frozen or dehydrated preservation techniques. It can be cooked or eaten raw and the taste varies greatly; high oxalate content can be reduced by cooking. It is super food. It contains a lot of nutrients in a low-calorie package. Dark green leafy vegetables such as spinach are vital to the health of skin, hair, and bones. They also provide protein, iron, vitamins and minerals. Below are the some healthy benefits of Spinach.
Healthy Benefits of Spinach.
1. Prevent Cancer– Spinach is rich in lutein and zeaxanthin, which are carotenoids that can remove unstable molecules called free radicals in the body before destroying the body, research shows that it can protect against cancer.
2. Improve Eyesight– Nutrients (lutein and zeaxanthin) help the eye detect contrast better. Therefore, eating foods rich in these antioxidants can not only improve vision, but also maintain vision for a long time.
3. Good Bone Health- The abundance of green raw spinach contains calcium that is good for bones, but they also contain a substance called oxalate. Oxalic acid binds this calcium and makes it unavailable for the body.
4. Lowering Blood Pressure– Studies have shown that foods high in potassium such as spinach can lower blood pressure. Potassium helps the kidneys flush sodium out of our system, which in turn causes our blood pressure to drop.
5. Healthy skin and hair- Incorporating spinach into your daily diet is very helpful for your skin and hair as it helps to reduce inflammation and provides you with important nutrients.
6. Good for diabetic- Spinach is especially beneficial for people with diabetes, even if you eat a lot of spinach. This water-soluble vegetable has a negligible effect on blood sugar, and it is a good choice if you follow a diabetic diet rich in fibre and protein.
7. Immunity booster– It is rich in vitamin C, is also rich in many antioxidants and β-carotene, which can enhance our immune system’s anti-infection ability.
8. Good In Pregnancy – It is full of folic acid, which makes it one of the best foods for pregnancy.